Pages

November 6, 2010

Nigella does it again!

Nigella Lawson is my favorite "culinary guide" hands down. Her first cookbook, How to Eat, might be my favorite cookbook of all time. In it, she doesn't simply list recipes, she provides culinary inspiration letting the reader in on her passion for food, a passion which I share. This week we tried her "PLE Butterscotch Tart" (which I can't help but think is a typo and is meant to be Apple Butterscotch Tart). It may be my new favorite dessert recipe, which is saying a LOT considering it doesn't contain my favorite ingredient, chocolate. The four of us ate the entire tart within 25 minutes of our first taste, it's that good!!

Apple Butterscotch Tart
1 plain pastry dough (I made mine with 1 C. flour, 1/2 C. butter flavored shortening, and 3Tb ice water)
1 lb. cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly (we used granny smith which I highly recommend)
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
pinch salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream

  • Line an 8-inch tart pan with pastry
  • Layer apples in shell
  • Mix remaining ingredients together to make a paste
  • Pour the butterscotch paste over the apples
  • Bake for 10 minutes at 425
  • Lower heat to 350 and bake for another 20-25 minutes
  • Enjoy!

No comments: